Title

Are you sure?

Forum Coughing and trying to vomit? (18)

Coughing and trying to vomit? (18)

Thread is closed
| 9 years ago
edited by

My cat is making noises like he is trying to vomit, or there is something stuck in his troat. But nothing comes out. This comes 3-4 times in one evening. For the rest he seems to be fine.
We tought it could be hair ball but it is like that for more than a week now. Took him to vet, and vet gave some antibiotics and some anti hair ball remedy. Today is the third day with the treatment and he is still coughing. Any ideas what this might be? Any similar experience? Thanks a lot!

Sandra 
| 9 years ago
edited by

Souds like a hairball to me too...
Did the vet look in his throat? Maybe something is stuck or irritating?
Did the antibiotics help at all? Or is it still as bad as it was?

I think you can better call the vet to ask what he/she thinks. Maybe there something else going on.

| 9 years ago
edited by

I´m not sure either because I have a persian that has hairballs problems and every time he does that he vomits hairballs too, it makes sense because he´s long hair and he grooms himself all day, but my mother in law´s cat has the same problem but she´s a short hair cat and doesn´t seem to be puking hairballs to me. Any vet has said for sure that´s a hairball problem... we have no idea what it could be and we are worried about her. I think she may have asthma or something like that.

Well any idea that somebody else could have would be useful for me too

Sandra 
| 9 years ago
edited by

My short-haired Roos vomits hairballs as well. And that usually starts with coughing too! So hairballs don´t only occur with longhaired cats.
Is your mother in law´s cat not vomating? Maybe she does it outside?

| 9 years ago
edited by

no, she´s an inside cat and every time she vomits something is just saliva and food, no hairballs... is really weird

My short-haired Roos vomits hairballs as well. And that usually starts with coughing too! So hairballs don´t only occur with longhaired cats.
Is your mother in law´s cat not vomating? Maybe she does it outside?

| 9 years ago
edited by

My cat is a long hair as well, and technically should vomit hairballs. In the past he occasionally vomit hairballs, very big ones, however not regularly. But I never seen him trying so har for so long.
I heard stories like diafram tearing, lung sickness, etc. which makes me woried. But I guess I should continue the treatment till Monday and if it continues I´ll take him back to vet. There is a little improvement but he still coughs

Beau 
| 9 years ago
edited by

I would definitely take him to the vet on Monday if he´s still doing it. Beau did that once and he had something stuck in his throat. Fortunately I was able to get it out myself, but I still took him to the vet for a follow-up visit.

| 9 years ago
edited by

Cleo often has a few attempts at throwing up a furball before it actually happens & is usually just saliva & whatever is in her tummy. If they are still eating and drinking water i tend not to get too worried but about a month ago Cleo kept throwing up all night (just saliva) and wasn´t taking any fluids in so i took her to the vet next morning & she had to stay in all day on a drip as she had become dehydrated. Apparently cats get dehydrated very quickly so important to keep an eye on this and my advice is get them to the vet ASAP if they are not taking in fluids. They couldn´t identify the cause but she stopped after having antibiotics via the drip and was perky the next day and a couple of days later the biggest hairest furball you have ever seen appeared!! There are some anti furball products on the market (a paste or special biscuits) and regular grooming could maybe help to reduce the amount of furballs

| 9 years ago
edited by

one of cats have this problem too, coughing and nothing comes out but saliva sometimes, I think u might want to check ur cats lungs, as mine turned out to have chronic pneumonia and is better after treatment, only gets those coughs when exited. it can also be some irritation in his/her throat.

| 9 years ago
edited by

Always best to consult a vet if unsire. A General checkup can at times save a cats life.

| 9 years ago
edited by

Go the the vet again and ask about Asthma. That´s what my cats have (on and off) and it sounds a bit like a stuck hairball. They get it when stressed or when something sets them off like pollen etc.

| 9 years ago
edited by

thanks for the suggestions I´m gonna talk to my mother in law about it.

| 9 years ago
edited by

This is going to sound odd, but try giving you little one some real butter. It helps mine when they start sounding like that

My cat is making noises like he is trying to vomit, or there is something stuck in his troat. But nothing comes out. This comes 3-4 times in one evening. For the rest he seems to be fine.
We tought it could be hair ball but it is like that for more than a week now. Took him to vet, and vet gave some antibiotics and some anti hair ball remedy. Today is the third day with the treatment and he is still coughing. Any ideas what this might be? Any similar experience? Thanks a lot!

| 9 years ago
edited by

It is surely a hairball, give your cat an anti-hairball paste just before he eats. This will clear his throat. You can buy this paste from your local pet pharmacy..sorry forgot the exact name! Long-haired cats have the tendency to have much more hairballs then short-haired cats for the reason that their fur is much longer and easier to pull it off. To make sure, go to the vet for further tests. Hope this helps

| 9 years ago
edited by

How do you give the paste to them joan1?

Jenny 
| 9 years ago
edited by
Jenny 

How do you give the paste to them joan1?

well if its hairball paste they usually lick it off your finger!! or you can put some on their front paws and they will lick that off

angela 
| 9 years ago
edited by

if you´re not sure let the vet take an x-ray, our Isilya also had the same symptoms and she was diagnosed to be asthmatic, it also sounded like a hairball was stuck but unfortunately it wasn´t.

Sammy 
| 9 years ago
edited by

Posting in this forum has now ceased so the thread is being deactivated but will remain online for future reference. If you would like this thread reactivated than feel free to mail me. Thankyou.

Edit |
Delete
just now