Title

Are you sure?

Forum Distemper Shot side effects??? (8)

Distemper Shot side effects??? (8)

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

I took my cat to the vet yesterday and she gave her a distemper shot on the right side of her neck/shoulder area....well last night and all through out the day my cat is not wanting to weight bear on her right arm/right paw she will lift her right arm/shoulder and limp while she walks...i called the vet and she said she has never heard of this but she may have a sore shoulder that is why she is not wanting to weightbear on that arm....she suggested i give her a half of child´s tylenol one time and see if that helps any....but nways i was wondering if anyone has had this kind of problem from a shot????

Lena 
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

My cats didn´t really get a lot of shots...well the basics here...and have never had those side effects... I don´t know how that happened and I´m even more confused the vet doesn´t know but did you give that what she recommended? and if you did did it help? and if you didn´t please let us know because we are very interested...but I am pretty sure that what ever it was it will clear up and nothing will be wrong...

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

I´m actually surprised your vet said to give her tylenol (child´s or not) as it´s always been my understanding that tylenol is toxic to cats. I know that feline calcivirus can cause a cat to limp (oddly it´s an upper respiratory illnes, but it does cause muscle stiffness in some cats). It´s remotely possible that your cat may have been exposed to a FCV at the vet´s office and developed the stiffness entirely unrelated to the vaccination. If your cat starts to sneeze or has runny eyes, that may be the problem. It´s also just possible that the vaccination caused a minor amount of swelling and discomfort and she´ll walk it off. If it persists for more than another day, I´d be tempted to take her to another vet - I´m very suspicious of the tylenol recommendation and would want to get another opinion.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

I know this may be way off but it´s the only thing that comes to mind and has to do with humans not cats lol... But, I remember when I had a shot while in labor it must have been the way they gave it to me because I couldn´t walk right for a few days after the shot... I think they said they hit a muscle which made it sore to walk on. As I said it may not be the same thing but very well could be????

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Thank you all for the comments I appreciate it...Well she did say tylenol is not great for cats but you can only give them half of a child´s tylenol which is like 40 or 20 mg... and it lasts for like 3 days not to give it to the cat till another 3 days later she said....but needless to say my cat butter is doing great she just walked it off and rested and now she is jumping around acting like her oldself again I did not give her the tylenol b/c i knew she would feel better later thank you guys

Much LOVE

Lena 
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by
Lena 

that´s great news shellster we´re glad that she is all better

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

It´s great to hear that Butter is doing well, shellster023. It was very wise of you to consult your vet before giving her any human pain medication. The following quote is from a cat care website:

"Many common pain medications that are safe for humans (and other species) are potentially fatal to cats. These medications include Acetaminophen (Tylenol, Atasol, Paracetomol etc.) Acetylsalicylic acid known as ASA or by the brand name Aspirin, and Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil etc.)

One extra strength Acetaminophen tablet can kill a small cat.

Only painkillers that are specifically prescribed for your cat by a veterinarian can be given when your cat is sick or injured."

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

One extra strength tablet has 500 mg of acetaminophen....the vet i do trust she has cats as well and does give them only 20 or40 mg childs tylenol 1 time not everyday...but thanks for posting that about the fatalness of pain medications I appreciate it....

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now