Title

Are you sure?

Forum New Ideas to Exercise a Lazy Cat (9)

New Ideas to Exercise a Lazy Cat (9)

Mae 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Does anyone have any ideas how to motivate a lazy, overweight cat to exercise?

Leonid is a healthy cat, except for his weight. I have two other cats who are a healthy weight, but they are fairly active and I think thats why. Each of my cats gets one cup of indoor formula dry cat food a day and they split a can of wet food each day.

Leo used to get scraps of human food, but not anymore. Instead I may offer him (and my other kitties) chicken broth, sardines, or something I know is not bad for cats. It´s been a long time since he´s had any junk food, but he´s still getting fatter.

The three cups of food are shared between the three of them, but they never eat ALL of it before I feed them again. There´s always a little left in at least one of the bowls. The only thing I can think of is his inactivity. He lays around and doesn´t do much. He is never very enthusiastic about playing and when he does, he only lasts a couple of minutes.

I´m gone for much of the day and I know he doesn´t do anything.

The food and litter boxes are in different rooms so he at least has to get up to go the the litter box. He follows me around so I try to walk around the house and if he stops I call for him. I feel bad because I´ve also tried carrying his wet food around for a little while before giving it to him a couple of times. I don´t like to tease especially since I have two healthy cats who have to wait too!

How can I get him to be a more active, healthier cat?

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Just play with him. Get some New exciting toys!!! Get them to get up!!!

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I don´t think you can make a lazy cat play. And if you do, it will only be for a while, you can´t make it a habit for him unless he wants to. And lazy cats rarely play, they prefer to sleep.

Ramcey is lazy and a bit overweight as well, although he doesn´t eat more than Xena. I accept him the way he is and let him do what he likes (sleep)

Many people are overweight as well but live a long happy life. Don´t stress yourself about it so much.

Tracey 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

A feather stick is fun.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I think the only way to motivate him would be to let him work up an appetite

Pam 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

My cats go crazy over the laser pointer. They´ll tucker themselves out completely trying to catch it.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Lucky Brooke was very overweight so I only gave her a tablespoon of cat biscuits at a time. I spaced her feeding at intervals and each time only gave her 1 tablespoon. In the evening, I give her a small tin of wet food.

I introduced a tape measure and I get her to run after it all over the living room. She really looks forward to it each day and she is over 13 years old now! After losing a couple of kilos, she is more frisky and looks healthier too! On a warm day, I go outside with her and play the same game all over the lawn. We do this for about 10-20 minutes each day. I think it´s good for cats to get some play exercise as they do sleep a lot, don;t they?

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I have 3 cats who need to lose weight & are not all that active even though I do play with them. I think someone should make a treadmill for cats. If I knew how to do it I would. I think it woudl be a money maker! Of course you would have to have them on a leash and walk them on the treadmill so there would be a learning curve & some cats would refuse but still I think it is a good idea. Any entrepeneurs out there?

Mae 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

there are a bunch of ideas i should try...thanks for all your posts so far!

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now