Title

Are you sure?

Forum urinary tract infection (9)

urinary tract infection (9)

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

My cat Lucky has a urinary tract infection where if he doesn´t eat a certain kind of food he has this problem where he can´t go to the bathroom and when he does go he only goes a little or can´t go at all and he can never make it to the litter box. The kind of food we give him costs $20 which is expensive. It seems to help him a lot and he hasn´t had to go to the vet where before we started feeding him this he was in the vets three diffrent times. I´d just like to see if theres any other cats out there that have this problem and what their owners are doing/feeding them. Because I´ve never heard of a cat getting this kind of infection before.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

I work at a vet clinic and we see it all the time. Cannned food is the best for them. The food options are Urinary S/O from Royal Canin, or prescription diet C/D from Hills

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Hi Bensmom. Frodo had a lot of problems with urinary tract infections after we got our new puppy. The vet thought it was partly due to stress and also him not getting enough fluids. (he was on a dry diet at the time) He was managing to pass a little urine, but it was bloody and he was in and out the litter tray constantly and crying.

He now eats Hills prescription C/D (dry food) and a little tinned meat daily, and I make sure he has water bowls all over the house, because he´s very funny about drinking if he can be seen, or if the dog´s around. He´s also on a weight loss plan because he is overweight and apparantly that´s can also be a factor. Touch wood, he´s doing well so far and the problem hasn´t reccured. The Hills food does seem expensive but even a small bag lasts us quite a long time.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Working at a kitty resort I see the same problem with heaps of cats, they come in on the special diets as Kitcat said SO from Royal Canin & CD from Hills Science Diet.
Cats that seem to be a bit or alot overweight appear to be more seceptible to it.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

I find the dried food causes this problem quite a lot,one of my previous cats suffered with "stones", a male cat cannot pass urine with this problem,something to do with the uretha being narrow,because cats are known not to be great fluid drinkers then the stones cannott pass down the urinary tract,the stones have to be surgically removed,best to ease off with the dried food,by the way my cat was only 4kg,and not obese, iff anything he was a little bit skinny.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

THere is also Cystaid which seems to help. I have the same problem with both of mine. It is all expensive stuff. Also my vet told me that the SO from Royal Canine can cause a cat to be overweight. So now I vary the food a lot.

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

The best thing for cats regardless of urinary tract infection is wet food. It not only helps for the water content for urinary tracts but also helps to reduce weight in heavier cats.

x 
Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

Berry Balance solved the problem from recurring with Joey. It was always hard to get him to drink enough water, so I got a pet fountain and upped his wet food, and started him on Berry Balance. he hasn´t had the problem for 6 months. Unfortunately, most foods on the market are pure fillers and just loaded with junk, and their "testing" practices are inhumane. No IAMS or Science Diet a.k.a Hills in my house ever again. Prairie, Wellness and Innova are the best thing I did for all my boys. I used to work in veterinary and learned a lot about more holistic alternatives for pets. A great informative site is Peteducation.com. Solid Gold Berry Balance can be bought at onlynaturalpet.com

Quote | 9 years ago
edited by

I really do think a lot of male cats are neutered too young, before their urinary tracts are fully developed. Mugger wasn´t neutered until he was five, which is a.. little.... late (lol), but he´s never had any urinary tract problems.

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now