Title

Are you sure?

Forum White cats...shampoo? (17)

White cats...shampoo? (17)

Quote | 6 years ago

Is there anyone with a cat that is mainly white or even all white?
What do you use to keep his/her coats shiny & white?

I cannot get Patches' coat to be as white as it was the day I got her. I just dont like seeing her coat so...so... yellowish. Even after a bath.. she had one today & her coat still doesn't look clean. She's bathed every 2-3 weeks as routine because she's mainly white.

Quote | 6 years ago

Bathing a cat so often disturbs their skin and fur oils their fur will become more fatty and unhealthy as the skin tries to replenish all the oils you remove. Try not to bath Patches for 3 months. You should see an improvement after an initial deterioration.

Quote | 6 years ago

I have read that a pinch of blueing like for laundry can be used, but I have never tried it.

Quote | 6 years ago

I wasn't able to find much information about yellowing fur, and my first thought was to agree with marketa - her skin may be overproducing oils. Even if they aren't causing the yellowing, it will be very drying for her skin. But there is another school of thought - dyes are often added to cat food and when cats groom themselves, they can deposit that dye in their coat. It would be most noticeable on a white coat. You could try switching to a holisitic food that has no additives and see if that helps.

Rather than completely bathing her, you can also buy dry or mousse shampoos that you rub into a dry coat and brush out. Alternatively, kitty wipes are available at pet stores and you could try rubbing her coat with that, then grooming her to see if that brightens her coat. There are pet shampoos formulated for white coats, so call some petstores and see if you can find it, and try that every couple of months.

Quote | 6 years ago

I am sure that all of my black and white cats had some yellowing of the white fur. I think it is natural and purely a cosmetic consideration unless it is very noticeable. As MichyD says, shampoo formulated for white cats may be the answer. When I had GT, who was a sandy tabby, I groomed him with dry powder shampoo. This lightened his fur quite a lot. Perhaps that would work for you too.

Quote | 6 years ago

Oh that could be it..

Now the dry shampoo won't cause her skin to get dry or anything right? I could use that to bathe her & just wash her in the tub with her kitty shampoo every 3 months?

Ashley 
Quote | 6 years ago

I agree with everyone here, while its good to bathe your cats, more frequently than every couple of months bad for your kitty.

when you do bathe your cat, you can use a coat brightener shampoo for cats, like this here; http://www.thepetonline.com/biogroom-purrfect-white-shampoo-cats-p-43412.html you can find something similar in the dog grooming section of a pet store as well.

Louise 
Quote | 6 years ago

Max is abour 3yrs old, has never been outside and his coat as is white as when he was a baby Snow White, my other white cat, was fairly much the same until short time before she passed away at age of 19 1/2yo. Neither of them ever went outside and only time Max leaves the unit is in his cat carrier. My vet has commented on the brightness of Max's coat and has said that with him being 100% inside this is a big reason for his clean white colour.

I have heard that some places sell a talc that can be used on cats that does help brighten their coats but I have never used or even seen it. In regards to bathing a cat, I have never bathed at cat and neither did my mum. only animal in our family that ever got bathed on regular basis was the dog.

Licia 
Quote | 6 years ago

How old was Patches when you got her? Perhaps she has grown and changed her natural shade slightly? Oliver is also mostly white, but it is of a warmer shade of white and it has a touch of cream in it, not the snowy white. He has never gotten a bath but he stays very clean, silky and fluffy, which is a wonder as he likes to lodge himself into a grubby corner full of dusts (under/behind the furniture and such)!!! I do agree that you should try going without bathing for a period of time... I have read many times healthy indoor cats shouldn't ever need a bath...

Quote | 6 years ago

patch59 - Patches is strictly 100% indoors only. I'm to much of a worry wart about her to even let her go outside.. crate only.

Licia - Her age was unknown to be honest.. She was found as a baby wandering the streets, bottle fed & then given to me. I've been going off a vets estimate on her age. They looked at her teeth to try & see.

Then again Chase is outside, of course..maybe it could have to do with him? She's only gotten more yellow since he came along in August.

Quote | 6 years ago

Hmmm...have you asked the vet about this. Maybe she has some mineral deficiency or it is hormonal???

Louise 
Quote | 6 years ago

the recent colur variance does should strange .... as Marketa mentioned this could be something your vet may be able to help with. The first cat I had was a tabby for majority of her life, due to some hormonal changes her fur colour changed and she took on the appearance of a grey tortoiseshell. There also may be some link relating to Chase, have you been able to discuss those observations with your vet?

Quote | 6 years ago

I would also tell the vet what food they're eating, and ask if they could be transferring chemical dyes to their fur when they're grooming (or absorbing the dye into their system). Some foods are more heavily processed and coloured than others, and it wouldn't necessarily be visible on any other coat colour but white.

Quote | 6 years ago

Does she groom herself a lot? I have read that the cat's own saliva can cause the fur to turn yellowish.

Chris 
Quote | 6 years ago

this is very interesting for me ... all the discussion how to keep a white fur white.... my old white cat Pook always seems to be white and when he is dusty i brush it off. the young one, Janni, is rather a "pig", he seems to roll in dirt and always brings in leaves and I've only washed him twice since I don't know if it's good to wash cats too often... but the two of them have totally different kinds of fur. the Turkish fur is thick + fluffy, the LaPerm fur is silky and fine and seems to suck up dirt... ;(

Simona 
Quote | 6 years ago

I have two white cats and there's fur is always white.But on my other cat that's not all white is kinda yellow like dirty fur and she is very clean.I notice that when they are in the sun much there fur get's kinda yellowish...don't know is these because of the sun or something else...

Quote | 6 years ago

Im sure cats are like people in many ways. my father in law s hair turned yellow and my mother in law s hair turned white. they didn t smoke, and they ate the sdame foods. I assume it may be the same for white cats or dogs. some remain white, some yellow with age.

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now