Title

Are you sure?

Forum How dangerous is tapeworm to humans? (17)

How dangerous is tapeworm to humans? (17)

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I have been looking after a cat belonging to an elderly couple while they have been on vacation. The cat is heavily infested with tapeworm, which is visible around its anus. I am concerned about the welfare of the couple, as they are both in poor health. He is on dialysis with kidney failure and also suffers from various other conditions, while she has recently battled with cancer. I am wondering whether the tapeworm represents a heath risk, bearing in mind that the segments must have been shed all over the house including the couple´s beds, kitchen, garden and all surrounding areas.

What would be the best way to get rid of all traces of the tapeworm, apart from the obvious, worming the cat?

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Hi Oldwoman. I can understand your concern not only for your friends but for yourself.

I found this link which is quiet good and informative.

If you google Tapeworm you will find a while heap of info.

Good Luck

Pam 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Tape+Worm+Tabs+Cat-prod10415.html

My vet ordered these tablets for me when I told him worms continued showing up in my cats, even after he wormed them. One dose has worked so far. The trouble is the eggs. You have to clean very well so the eggs won´t re-infest the cat. So after I gave them the tablets, I vacuumed the carpets and furniture really well. They´ve been worm free for months now.

But it sounds like the couple won´t be cleaning as thoroughly as needed to eliminate the eggs. So even if you do get rid of their current worms, it´s likely they can be re-infested.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

The couple in question do clean very thoroughly and have recently treated their cat with one of those "all in one kill all parasites" drops on the neck. It must be the case that the treatment is not working properly. I will suggest to them the Praziquantel tablets, thanks clerihewed.

I believe that tapeworm transfers to humans only if they ingest a flea. Not a very likely scenario. My main concern is the general hygiene aspect of the situation considering the couples state of health.

Pam 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Somehow I read from your comment that they were unclean. Not the case at all. I´m a nutter sometimes.

Then the tablets should help for sure! I´m just glad my vet knew about them, and that they are so affordable.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Somehow I read from your comment that they were unclean

It´s the thought of the tapeworm segments here there and everywhere. Repulsive creatures.

pamela 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Hi. I´m a vet tech so I can answer this fairly easily.
Tapeworms are transmitted by fleas. What happens is they eat the flea by grooming themselves and the tapeworm develops in the intestines where they live and feed on the kitty. What you are seeing around the anus is tapeworm segments. Chances are this couples house is infested with fleas as well. Over the counter dewormers are not going to work. And neither will OTC flea control products like hartz or sergents. These can only hurt the cat. Best thing to do is take the cat to the vet, ask for flea control such as Revolution, Advantage, Advantix or Frontline Top Spot Plus. These will only kill the fleas and all their cycles, but you´ll still need a dewormer for the tapeworms. Ask for Drontal because it takes care of other intestinal parasites along with tapeworms. None of these products can be purchased through petsmart or petco, etc. you must see a vet.
As far as hurting humans, its not really been documented as so, but there´s always a possibility. What is bad is the fleas. Once they stop attacking the cat they will attack the owners. Look for tiny red bumps along the ankles and feet. If you see fleas in the house--which I´m sure you will--you can purchase a product through your vet called "knockout"--it works. Bombs and OTC sprays do not work. You need something thats going to kill all the stages: the the egg, pupae, adult flea and larva. Remove the cat before you treat the house though. Wait until its dry to bring her back inside.
I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask my anything else.
Pamela

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Thanks for your exhaustive reply. The cat was treated with Stronghold, which was obtained from the vet. These are drops, which are put on the neck. The vets seems to prescribe this quite widely as a complete cure for all parasites in one treatment. I have read the instructions carefully and I do not think it covers tapeworm. I think I will advise them to get Drontal.

There is not a flea infestation at the moment, we had that a while ago and dealt with it then.

pamela 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Sorry for the long answer earlier..just wanted to be thourough. Strongid is for round worms and hookworms, so tapes won´t be included. I´m glad the fleas aren´t around--thats going to help in the long run. Whaever it is for the back of the neck isn´t going to take care of tape worms so yes you will need Drontal. Good luck!

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Well, thank you very much for the information. No problem about long answer. Thank you for taking the time to explain things thoroughly. I think I´ll have to have words with my vet about the way he sells Stronghold. He recently sold it to me as well for Ginger´s ear mites with the comment that it will kill all parasites. This clearly is not the case and he is misleading people.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I think I´ll have to have words with my vet about the way he sells Stronghold. He recently sold it to me as well for Ginger´s ear mites with the comment that it will kill all parasites. This clearly is not the case and he is misleading people.

Well, same here. And I was misled twice about preventing toxoplasmosis. I think all they care about is to sell a medicine. Each time I visit the vet, I hear another opinion.

Now, can anyone tell me, what exactly the difference is between Stronghold and Drontal? I gave my cats Stronghold last month. The vet said it should be repeated every two months, while Drontal should be taken every 5 or 6 months. Should I give my cats both, or one is a substitute for the other?

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

As far as I know Drontal kills all worms but not any fleas or ticks. I give Drontal (in adult cats) only if there is evidence of worms and for fleas I use Frontline drops which go on the neck. I use these only if there is evidence of fleas, except in longhaired cats, which I flea 3 or 4 times a year.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

What do you consider as evidence for worms?

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

In adults It is tapeworm segments around the anus. (I worm kittens regularly.)

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Oh I´m confused now. If I don´t see evidence of worms (which I have never seen) should I not use Drontal?

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Vets would recommend worming adult cats (who hunt) against tapeworm once a month, not necessarily with Drontal. I consider this excessive and unnecessary for most cats. If you have never seen any evidence of worms, you may still wish to do routine worming with say every 1-3 months or what ever just on the vets´s say so. Here is what I think:

Adult cats do not usually suffer from worms, other than tapeworm, and do not need routine worming, providing they were properly wormed as kittens, and providing they are properly fed at home. If they do pick up worms, this usually is not very serious and does no warrant routine monthly worming. I do not think that adult cats kept indoors get infested with any worms. They may get infested with tapeworm if they go out, but are not likely to pick up anything else.

Tapeworm might not be evident in any way, but usually there are segments occasionally visible around the anus. This is when I will worm my cats. My way, there is some danger of the cats having the odd worm, but I feel that this is preferable to loading them with toxins for no good reason.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I do not think that adult cats kept indoors get infested with any worms.

... I feel that this is preferable to loading them with toxins for no good reason.

Well, that´s what I thought too. Thanks for the confirmation.

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now