Title

Are you sure?

Forum 4 dumped kittens.... what to do?? Help! (22)

4 dumped kittens.... what to do?? Help! (22)

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Hi

I have found 4 little ones approx 5 weeks old...

Where do I take them? The vet wont have them, the pet shop´s wont have them?

DO i contact shelters??

Please help

Sydney AUST

Thanks

Daff 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Hi,

Yeah you can try the RSPCA. Or the local shelter. If you use the council pound they will only be kept for 7 days before they are euthenised. I think The RSPCA will be best choice. Unless there is a private shelter in your area.

Good Luck.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I know it happens a lot, but I still can´t believe that anyone could just dump kittens. What could they be thinking of???

The RSPCA is the best idea in Sydney. At least they try to get them into a shelter, where they have a chance at finding homes.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Hi Guys

I have tried the RSPCA and they dont want them??!!

I have no idea how people could just dump them, they are so beautiful!

I will try my local vet, they are quite good.

Or the animal shelter at west hoxton, but apparently "its kitten season" and they are being hammered with abandoned kittens...

Poor things, at least they are with me at the moment and I can look after them until I can find a shelter i guess...

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

You could also try putting ads in the local newspapers or posting flyers around your neighbourhood offering the kittens for a nominal re-homing fee (so that only serious persons will contact you). I don´t know about Sydney, but in my city the supermarkets and large pharmacies have bulletin boards where people can put up all types of ads and there are usually ads for animals looking for homes. Good for you for taking them in and good luck with re-homing!

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Wow I cant elieve the RSPCA wont take them!
Could u keep them till they are 6-8 weeks and then try to re home them?
Good Luck!

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

The supermarket noticeboard and the poster idea is good. Be sure to include a photo of the kittens.

The other idea is a bit more involved, but should work with these kittens as well as getting the message out more broadly. This would involve contacting one of the two commercial current affairs television programs. They may be interested in doing a story on the problem of kitten dumping. They would likely make it into a broader story and interview different organisations, but would need a good example of an actual case. If you agreed to appear and show the kittens and tell the story of how you found them, many viewrs would see this. It´s highly likely, almost guaranteed, that they would get homes, and there would be more public awareness of the problem.

All you do is contact the station (main number) and ask to be put through to the PA for the program. Then tell your story (briefly),and suggest the story idea. Remember to put it the broader context by mentioning the kitten dumping problem, and how the RSPCA and other organisations just won´t take them.

They are always on the lookout for human interest stories. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Daff 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

This time of year the RSPCA are over run with kittens. If they can "fob" you off they will.
If you went down there and paid the surrender fee they would probably take them.

I would be inclined to keep them for another week or so and then take it from there. You might have no option but to take them to the pound. Sad but true.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I have some good news...

I have found homes for two of them so far....

very good homes might i add...

I will keep the other two for another week and see if i can find homes for them...

Poor little vegemites, they are so scared and little...

SO VERY cute tho!

I think they are about 6 weeks.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

That´s great news!!!

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

You have done very well. Good show.

Daff 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Oh well done. That is god news. Now two more to go!

I don´t think I have ever seen a kitten than wasn´t cute.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Good for you...lucky little babies to have ended up on your doorstep. If you can keep them until they´re 8 weeks that would be optimum for their development and socialization. If not, as long as they are eating and pooping on their own they should be fine in a new home.

If the new owners aren´t familiar with young kittens and their needs, you could direct them to this website, or print some info for them: http://cats.about.com/od/kittencare/Kitten_Care_All_Aspects_of_Kitten_Care.htm

If you still have a couple that need homes, all the vets I know will allow people to put signs up in their waiting rooms (with pictures) advertising pets that need homes. The nominal adoption fee is a really good idea . People will take a cute little free kitten to "try it out" and if it doesn´t work for them they won´t feel much responsibility for the little mite. Good luck (and good work, you should feel very proud for being so good to them).

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Wow congratulations! Thats great news! If I didnt already have 4 cats I would take one Im only in Newcastle! I think I would loose my fiance if I tried to bring another cat home, as much as he loves cats he doesnt want anymore.
Great job on finding good homes for them!

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

You can also post an add on a national pet site. Upload one or two pictures too, it always helps (that´s how I got Ramcey)

Naomi 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I´m glad you´ve managed to find homes for the kittens. I´m sure if you put an ad in the paper they will be snapped up. When I was looking for kittens I was looking at ads and by the time I´d phoned at about 10 am ish,they had been all gone. I only managed to get them by phoning at 8 am. Woman was amazed I had called her so early and I´d told her she could expect lots of calls. By time I came to collect kittens she told me I was right and her phone had been ringing off the hook. Good luck and a big well done for saving them!!

Tisha 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Oh, you only have one cat........ what harm is two more??? Keep them!!

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Yes keep them 1 or 3 is the same, I have 5 at home lol

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Hip Hip Hoorey! Great that you found homes for 2 kitties! I´m rather late reading this post but what happened to the other 2 kitties? You didn´t mention...

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I too am reading posting a few days behind. Great news that you found 2 wonderful home for those darlings. Like others said you already have 1, what´s 2 more? These are coming from multi-cat families like me but seriously, they would probably fit right in and kittens are so much fun watching grow up, especially siblings

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now