Title

Are you sure?

Forum How do you keep wild animals from eating cats food? (15)

How do you keep wild animals from eating cats food? (15)

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

''''Ok...I really need some suggestions as to how I can leave some food out for these 3 cats without the Raccoons and other nocturnal animals taking it..

Where to begin..hmmm about a month ago I noticed this spooky, fuzzy, beautiful cat hanging around just outside of our yard in the woods..
Never had others cats to come around from the surronding neighborhood before.. So I thought maybe someone new had moved in on the block on the other side of our woods.

Then a couple days later I saw a white cat sitting with him in the window of the old house that´s also in our woods. It is fuzzy also... So now it´s 2 hanging around periodically through the day.. So just to be nice I leave some food for them in that house.. just in case they´re homeless.. Because we all know how stupid & cruel people can be.. >

I check the bowl the following day and no crumbs what so ever....Usually cats leave crumbs,(if they´re not starving) so same thing happens next day and I go over and wallah there´s a third cat.. fuzzy also! They run like mad when they see me but the white one hesitated and meowed back at me when I meowed at her ..

I decided to put hubby´s deer camera over there so I could see who was eating the food at night.. and this is what I found...
This is the spooky cat during the day
Never got the white cat though........

And here´s my problem!.......>
http://en.unitedcats.com/photos/albums/big/49096.jpg
http://en.unitedcats.com/photos/albums/big/49095.jpg

I cannot be wasting money feeding raccoons.. But I really want to leave food for these beautiful kitties! So I just leave some during the day.. but cats like to nibble all the time and they´re starting to look more ragged than when I first saw them...

So I decided to go through the woods and walk the block and see if I saw them.. And I did see 2 of them. I approach the yard and an elderly lady was sitting outside... very friendly but now quite all there if you know what I mean..... What I could gather is someone dropped them off and they took up at her house.. but didn´t say how long ago.. and if they´re that scared of me you think they´d be scared of her too. So it feels better to know they might have a home but it doesn´t look like they´re getting feed or taken care of very well And i´m seeing them more and more around my area... The white one will sit at the edge of the woods and look at my cats as if saying, I want to come and play at your house. and the spooky one he is just brazen.. trying to call my girls to come over with that yowling.. I can get somewhat close to him before he takes off .. He´s even been laying on the carport with my cats.. all though they were sitting at a distance and not liking it very well..

So basically asking for advice or suggestions on what I can do to help feed these kitties without feeding the wild kingdom.. Where I can put food or something that smells that will deter any wild ones.. Also I made some cat beds in that house just in case they needed a safe spot.. but they don´t get used.. I guess because of the other things that ramble in there during the night

Fatty checking out the grey cat...''''

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

''Seems I didn´t post the last 2 pics the right way so i´ll repost the thief causing the problem.. well there was possum picture too but was to blurry

''

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

At first I thought this would be one of those "wow - impossible to solve" problems. I couldn´t find anything that would be helpful, then it occurred to me the only thing maybe a cat can do that a raccoon probably can´t is jump. So I refined my search...and found just the thing!
Raccoons Can´t Jump
Time to get out your hammer and screw gun!

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

'And maybe a spy in the enemy camp would help: &

& '

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Do raccoons get on with cats?

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Toronto has a huge urban raccoon population. I´ve never heard of them killing a cat, but often hear of cats being severely injured by them. I don´t know if this is competition for food or territory or just plain not liking each other.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I like your spy picture.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Lol... interseting question.. My mother has ferals and some stay at her old horse stable and have once seen a coon eating while a cat was nearby.. But do they really get along... I couldn´t answer...

And MichyD, I put up a shelf of sorts.. ( old door) and put beds on it at first.. but there´s a hole in the roof that went to an attic..that was right above the shelf and I think that maybe it´s a place for the raccon to stay..(needless to say i´m not poking my head up there to find out ) .. But it fell anyway... I was using some sloppy craftmans skills.. But another shelf where nothing can drop or cimb is a good idea!

Going to check out that link.....Thanx

ps...adorable pic...going to send that one to my mom..she has this problem also

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

MamaMeowz, you´re wise not to poke your head up there. Raccoons love attics and any kind of space under a roof. They build a nest and use the space around it as a toilet. The urine is very strong and between the acidity and the moisture, the whole area can give way with nest and raccoons crashing into the room below.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Are raccoons nice? Could you leave raccoon food or something they like nearby so they will eat that instead of the cats food?

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

NEST.. never thought of that.! Lucy our beagle that took up here is free roaming (because she old) at night she goes into those barking sessions like she has something treed or is chasing something madly.. usually in that direction.. I might need to put the camera back since spring has come and babies were probally born.. See if there are extra residents in the shack ..

Checked the site.... great idea! I have a spool ( not sure if it´s big enough).. there´s some tin left where it fell of that old house, and definetly have a staple gun.... I love my staple gun! and there´s post out by the horse stable.. I could steal from hubby... he´d never know since he can´t go in the woods anyway because of the poison ivy.. hmm this just might work... always harder than it looks though.. post hole digger is too big for my short self... so digging woud be a pain...

I wish 5555 but I got possums and god knows what else coming through there at night. .. they´d still eat the cat food..

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Oh dear...don;t think there´s a solution to your problem...but wow, the effort that you took to get the culprit...you´re some kind of pet detective!

I have similar problem, the culprit are squirrels! Can´t stop them, so I just wait when I see the cats then I refill the cat bowl.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

When I feed Leo who is my cat but he lives outside I have to wait until he has eat everything.
Then I leave some dry food for him to have all day. What I have notice is that he is not the only
one eating. There are lizards,hedgehogs and birds. Its nothing I can do about it just accept
that I feed them also.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I like to watch the birds when they steal the dogs food.. it´s cute because they´re sneaky and cautious about it.. But i´ve never seen a lizard do it.... must be a big lizard

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Yes, we have very big lizards here, so big that the cats doesnt touch them. I have seen
a very big cat fighting with a big lizard but he had to leave because the lizard had scratch
his nose and he was bleeding very much so I had to take him to the vet.

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now