Title

Are you sure?

Forum how to teach kitty to drink from bowl? (9)

how to teach kitty to drink from bowl? (9)

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I found a kitty about 2-3 wks old, he is now 5-6 wks old. He´s been on formula and really likes his bottle. We have been trying hard to get him to drink water or formula or watered down canned food from a bowl with no luck. Tried all the things like dipping a finger in it to get him to lick it, and he´ll do that. Tried wiping it on his mouth and he´ll lick that too. But he wont drink on his own.

His life and mine will be much simpler when he can do this for himself. Any more pointers as I am getting frustrated, he probably is too.

Thanks
Funkynassau

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

He is probably just too young. You have done well to look after him this far, just be a little patient.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

How wonderful of you to be so patient with this young kitten. You truly have saved his life. As oldwoman said, he probably is too young. At that age he would still be nursing from his mother (had she been there) and so to drink water on his own cannot be expected of him. I found my 2 cats as kittens at approx 7 wks of age. They were drinking on their own so perhaps another 2 wks yours will be too. Good luck with your special fur baby.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

You can try put him near a bowl of milk and let him smell. Put his mouth in the milk a bit just to wet it (be careful with the nose though) and he will start licking it. If he doesn´t seem annoyed, do this a few more times and see if he tries to do it himself then. If he does, stop giving him the bottle and encourage him with the bowl. If he doesn´t... well he really is too young and needs time. Be patient.

Vjef 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

yes use the way nosyparker says I did this last year when I had my brother cat her with her young and she stopped feeding them. I fed them with the bottle at first but then taught them to drink themselves this ay! However be carefull about not feeding them by bottle anymore for the vet told me to do that too ( "as soon as they know how to drink from a bowl they will make sure they get enough" yeah right!) and one almost died of starvation and one did! (cried my eyes out) This happenes so fast when they are this young so i kept giving the others a basicfeed till they stated on chew and had them lick the rest!

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Thanks for all of the replies. I guess we just need to be more patient. I´ve done a lot of reading online about this and some people say he should already be off the bottle and others insist he is too young and should have a bottle for a couple more weeks. I assume all kittens are different, some are ready for bowls and canned cat food faster than others...

Thanks,
Funkynassau

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

do you maybe have another, older, cat?
Well, if you had another cat, maybe he could learn him how do drink from a bowl, your kitty would see what the other cat does, and he would do the same

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I had another cat but he died in May my dog is not the least bit interested in the kitten...

Elisha 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

nemmie was like that, her 5 other sisters were eating and drinking from the plate/bowl but nemo refused, but eventually in her own time she learnt to do it by putting her paw in the bowl and eating or drinking off it, weird but she did get the hang of it specially by watching my male cat tigger.

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now