Title

Are you sure?

Forum Can spayed female cats attract tomcats? (10)

Can spayed female cats attract tomcats? (10)

Pippa 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Does anyone know if it is possible for a spayed female cat to can attract and possibly mate with tomcats? Antigone seems to be behaving like this but she was spayed over a year ago. She did come into season before being spayed.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I think this is not possible. If she´s spayed, the tomcat cannot smell her hormones. But the opposite IS likely to happen. I mean, if the tomcat is spayed but the female cat is not, then the tomcat can "function" just as well as before his neutering, but without leaving her pregnant. Ramcey kept on doing it after he was spayed. He stopped after we had spayed Xena though.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I think the toms can be attracted to a spayed female (or a plank of wood for that matter), but the female will not let him mate properly with her.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Just a comment......toms are also attracted to not only a spayed female but neutered Toms.........it has always amused me to see some tom show up in our yard and try to control the males......they don´t seem to mind and although ´nothing´ happens sexually, the new unneutered male seems to be happy to just have any cat to dominate......I usually shoo the interlopers away but I guess given no other prospects in the neighborhood, a male will take what he can get.......ha!

My cats always seem to be so grateful that I shoo the newcomer away but they never argue with him and just seem to accept the dominance.........very interesting when I have seen this.........always remember one tough tom who was quite ferral, dominating every cat I had but not one cat ´argued´.......it took ´mom´ to ´save´ them from the big bad Tom........ha!

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

oldwoman, you made me laugh. Yep, intact toms are attracted to just about anything that moves (or doesn´t). Antigone isn´t manufacturing the necessary hormones on the scale of an intact female anymore, but she is the right size and species. Once she´s been spayed it doesn´t matter if she had a heat beforehand as it makes no difference now. If you have an un-neutered tom hanging around, he´s not going to get her pregnant (even if she does let him get close enough, which isn´t likely) and will probably lose interest as soon as he smells an available female in heat. Be extra careful not to let him into your home though as he probably has more unpleasant behaviours (like spraying).

Saz 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

I just want to say that my spayed female cat let my un nuterd male cat mate with her i heard her cry so loud. and he keeps trying to mate with all my spayed cats more than my un spayed cats lol its wired and another thing my spayed female cat yoeve she even tried mating with her spayed sister lakota lol i couldnt stop laughing .

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Have no idea, but Mimi was chasing away any toms that may have entered the garden both before and after being neutered.
Rangoon was neutered as a kitten, but he still tries to dominate anything on 4 legs with fur. He simply chases any cat he meets. the only exception was a young female cat who visited us while he and Snorri were very young and who served them as surrogate mother, teaching them to hunt and chase.

Tisha 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Shadow is fixed, and he doesn´t act like a normal tom. He was also done as a kitten and grew up with his brother, and now lives with two females, and he doesn´t try to dominate either of them. Baby is spayed, but I don´t think Lita is.... Maybe Shadow´s just too pathetic to realise that he´s actually a male.... I wouldn´t be too surprised there.

Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Well as some of you know from reading my blogs that my newest cat PandaBella is not spayed. Tuffy and her did not get along, in fact he was traumatized by her. Since she has come into her 2nd heat they are best buds. Now Tuffy is neutered so he cannot help this poor little cat out but he shares his santuary high on the wardrobe with her which shocked us 2 leggeds. So to answer your question in reverse, neutrerd males can be attracted to unspayed females.

Pippa 
Quote | 8 years ago
edited by

Many thanks to you all for your thoughts and cat knowledge - it made both interesting and in some cases very amusing reading! Well I guess I can´t blame it all on poor Antigone! Homer gets very upset with them - no wonder if they have been ardently pursuing him as well! I have seen at least 3 different tom cats around, but can never get close to them. The worst thing is the spray and poor Homer has been attacked before on a couple of occasions and needed the vet.

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now