Title

Are you sure?

Forum Why does my cat attack me? (12)

Why does my cat attack me? (12)

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

Yesterday i was waching TV when he attacked me from the blue. He jumped at my feet with his claws and teeth, then jumped on the bed to bite my arms. He does this often, but now he was too violent and he would not back off even though i hit him. My mom had to come to hit him with the towel.

My wounds bled. My left arm looks like i wanted to cut my veins. Very ugly.

I do not understand this at all. Why does he want to attack me? Without me provokeing him?

Please, somebody answer.

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

In my experience tom cats can attack due to territorial issues. It can be that there is another tom cat around which has made him bad tempered.

Cats can also attack if they are hungry or not getting on with their food.

At any rate, it is not a good idea to hit him. I find a water spray is the best way to stop an attack.

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

yes i know it is bad to hit him, but i didn´t have my spray.

the ideea is we live on the 3rd floor and he is an indoor cat....so no other males...

and he gets a lot of food maybe he wants to play... like mortal kombat

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

...He does this often ...

If this is a habit of his and he´s six years old already, it´s probably a bit too late to start worrying now. You should have tried to prevent this when he was much younger, cause he thinks it´s OK to do so by now. Try punishing him when he does this, not physically of course, but you can leave him in a room alone with the door closed for a few hours next time he does so. When he behaves, tell him what a good boy he is and give him treats. It may take a while, but he will get the message eventually. Good luck.

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

thanks for the advice i usually locked him alone in one room. till he calmed down.

i always pat him or give him treats when he is a good boy but these actions are unpredictable and i really do not know what caused this.

we are a family of 4 and he only fights with me. i am his MOM... maybe because of that he thinks he can act like a warrior with me and not with the others.

we all spoil our cats , but i see they do not want to rip your arm couple of times a week...

i will go back to uny soon. maybe he will miss me and learn to appreciate the time spent with me...

right ?

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

LOL I don´t want to disappoint you but you just reminded me of when I was your age and had a cat. When I started going to university and spent most of my time out, my cat started ignoring me on purpose. I wasn´t her boss any more, my mom was, cause she was the one feeding and petting her. I hope you´re luckier.

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

Hiya, Felix is neutered isn´t he? If not, that would help. You should have a look at these forum threads:
Sometimes friendly, sometimes bad tempered
Pouncing adoptee
Does your cat attack you?

There might be some informatino there you´ll find helpful. It sounds very similar to the situation in the first thread - if your cat only attacks you, and he does so aggressively and painfully, it could be that he´s not playing. He could be seeing himself as your boss, in the order of the hosuehold so his behaviour towards you is dominant. He could also be redirecting aggression from somewhere else. For example if there´s another cat he can see outside a window but not get to he might attack the nearest being he can get to - you. But if you´re the only one he attacks and he does so regularly, I´m thinking he sees himself as dominant over you. This is a good article on feline aggression: feilne aggression

You want to take charge and let him know you´re boss, but without inflicting pain, fear or punishment on him. You want him to respect, not fear you. The other threads and the article may help. If your vet knows anything about feline behaviour, they may also be able to help. Good luck!

Ieva 
Quote | 7 years ago
edited by
Ieva 

we are a family of 4 and he only fights with me. i am his MOM... maybe because of that he thinks he can act like a warrior with me and not with the others.

Actually, I think you might be right about this in a way. I live with my family too, but I´m the mummy (I feed her, I pet her the most, she spends the most of her time in my room etc.) and I´m the one who she occasionally attacks. But it´s nothing serious, she doesn´t scratch or bite me too hard. Maybe this is just a weird way to show his love.

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

Glory´s a Rarrwh kiity a lot of the time: part personality, part intense kitten, I guess. Every cat is different; some are fiestier than others.

I don´t think that it´s anything personal though.

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

i´m my cat´s muumy too..and he only attacks me, or anyon else when he doesn´t liek his food...if it´s out in the bowl for too long, if he doesn´t like the particular brand, or if he feels bad.. if eh´s running a temperature and is in need of a vet (my cat has cats´ AIDS)..

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

Yesterday i was waching TV when he attacked me from the blue. He jumped at my feet with his claws and teeth, then jumped on the bed to bite my arms. He does this often, but now he was too violent and he would not back off even though i hit him. My mom had to come to hit him with the towel.

My wounds bled. My left arm looks like i wanted to cut my veins. Very ugly.

I do not understand this at all. Why does he want to attack me? Without me provokeing him?

Please, somebody answer.

E posibil ca anterior sa-l fi incurajat la o astfel de joaca: uite, prinde-ma sau uite soarecele. Ce sa-i faci ei sunt vanatori prin mostenire genetica. Si Clopotel are obiceiul sa atace (muste) picioarele noastre. De obicei e suficient sa-i spun NU apasat dar nu totdeauna asculta. Clopotel este castrat acum dar tot mai ataca din cand in cand.

Nasshi 
Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

I dunno what Pisicapusi wrote, so if I repeat it, I´m sorry! I was wondering... is he an only cat? Could he view you as the closest thing to a playmate that he´s got? I know my boys randomly, without warning, fly upon each other´s behinds, or heads and just seem to go nuts for a couple seconds, then run off.

My brother in law´s cat was an only cat, and she did the same things to him. But he´s a big hairy man, and he found it cute when she attached herself to his arm and kicked the living cat-poo out of him. I, however, would have been quite wounded by what he found cute and endearing. Pookie only did this I think, because there were no other animals to mess with. Not even a dog to torture for fun.

Just throwing that out there, maybe he could use a friend to beat up... err.. I mean play with?

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now