Title

Are you sure?

Forum How to make my cat more friendly to other cats? (4)

How to make my cat more friendly to other cats? (4)

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

My cat is very friendly, cheeky and happy with me but she doesn´t like other cats at all and will get very angry if she sees another cat in the garden or anywhere else outside. She was living with other cats until she was 4 months old but since then has always been an only cat, which she still is but we now live in a neighbourhood with tons of other kitties so they frequently come into the garden, which I don´t mind but my cat tries to get outside to chase after them and will go into paw to paw battle if she can, which is very stressful for both parties I´m sure and for me as I had to run outside screaming at her to break up a fight once when she accidentally got outside. She is primarily an indoor cat but she will happily be walked outside in the garden on a harness with me.

There is a tabby cat she really hates and whom stares back at her with equal dislike if he happens to appear when I am walking her. She saw him from the window last night and went mental trying to go outside to beat him up. Any ideas?

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

Is your cat spayed? An intact cat can be very territorial. Even if she is spayed, I can´t think of any way to make her happier about intruders in her territory that she only sees occasionally. Have you thought about getting her a companion? Often a companion cat that she can be introduced to gradually and become accustomed to (instead of strangers that show up randomly then go away) will be much easier for an only cat to accept. Then she´ll have company to focus her attention away from the strangers in her yard.

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

Yes she was spayed when she was 6 months old, she´s now 8 years and very young for her age. I daren´t get another cat for fear she tries to beat it up The cats that come in my garden are regulars but we do get new additions from time to time including a lovely Tortie kitten who is very friendly.

My cat´s first actual encounter with another cat during adulthood was with a close neightbour´s cat which was very grumpy and unpleasant (sadly passed away but she was a very unhappy and grumpy cat) so I don´t know if this made my cat think all other cats should be considered a threat

Quote | 7 years ago
edited by

There may be a difference between intruders in her territory that she can see but not get to, and a new companion that you can introduce slowly. She sounds very dominant. It´s possible that a more submissive, quiet tempered older male could be a companion she would get along with. Sophie hated having foster cats for the first while and I learned to make sure she didn´t meet them face to face for days after I brought them home. Then I would crack the door open a tiny bit so she could see them and get used to their presence. She´d get a lot of treats and praise for behaving well. Eventually she adapted to foster cats more and more quickly, but I always made sure it was gradual and she had a safe place to go to avoid them. Gradually, controlled introductions often work well for introducing companion animals. Because the intruders in her territory come and go, she probably thinks of all of them as a threat and has no chance to get used to their presence. I can´t think of a way to help her get used to strangers that come and go, but gradually introducing a permanent companion may be possible. Just beware that if she really goes berserk when she sees strangers, she could turn on a companion animal and take her frustration out on them (or you, if you happen to be nearby).

You have to be logged in

Edit |
Delete
just now